Classic Bengali recipe for Chicken
Chicken ½ kg (medium sized pieces with bone)
Onions 4 medium sized (grated)
Tomatoes 2 medium sized
Cumin powder 1 tbsp
Green chillies 4-5
Salt to taste
Sugar ½ tsp
Ginger paste 1 tbsp
Garlic paste 1 tsp
Garam masala powder ¼ tsp
Mustard oil ¼ cup
Coriander leaves (Spread all over)
Kashmiri chilli powder ½ tsp
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Salt ½ tsp
Sugar ½ tsp
Thick yogurt/curd ¾ cup
Whole dry red chilli 3
Black peppercorn 6
Black cardamom 2
Green cardamom 4
Cinnamon 2-3 medium sized pieces
- Take the chicken pieces and marinate it with all the ingredients mentioned ‘Marinade’. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep frying Kadai. Add all the items under ‘Tempering’.
- Now fry the onions till light brown in colour.
- Add ginger garlic paste, mix and sauté for few seconds.
- Next add cumin powder, mix and fry for few seconds again.
- Now add marinated chicken into this. Add yogurt, salt and green chillies.
- Mix and cook on medium flame for 15-20 minutes uncovered. Keep stirring.
- Add one cup of hot water into the chicken.
- Mix well, cover and cook on low flame until cooked thoroughly. It takes about 40-45 minutes on low flame.
- Keep checking every 15-20 minutes to make sure you don’t over-cook your chicken.
- When the chicken pieces are fully cooked, check salt, add sugar and garam masala powder, mix well and remove from heat.
- Once chicken is ready, sprinkle pieces of coriander leaves on it and evenly spread it.
- Once the dish is ready, serve with paratha/luchi/any flat bread or Rice dish.
About the Chef
Originally from Burdwan, West Bengal but has been residing in Goa for more than 20 years.
Loves Music and has been involved in singing Classical, Rabindra Sangeeth.
Likes Tailoring, Knitting and Designing clothes.
An avid Cook and loves to surf various Food Recipes.
Very fond of reading Rabindranath Tagore books.
Gardening is another added avid hobby.
Disclaimer:This post is written by one of our members and contributors of Shenergy. The images and textual content provided is sole responsibility of the writer. If you feel that any content, in part or full, posted here is a violation of your copyright, please write to us at email@example.com and we will review it. The contributions are 100% voluntary and have no commercial exchange between Shenergy and the contributor.