A Turkish dish
Phyllo sheets 24
Walnuts 200 g
Pistachios 200 g
Butter melted 200 g
Cinnamon 1 tsp
For the syrup:
Sugar 1¼ cups (250 g)
Honey 1/4 cup (90 g)
Fresh lemon juice 2 tbsp
Rose water 1½ tsp
Water 1 cup
- Place walnuts, pistachios and cinnamon into a food processor and process until coarsely ground. Set aside.
- Make the syrup:
- In a small saucepan combine all the syrup ingredients and bring to boil.Wait until the sugar is dissolved and simmer 4-5 minutes more. Let it cool.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Unroll phyllo dough and trim the sheets to fit your baking dish.
- Cover with a damp towel to keep from drying out.
- Brush a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with some melted butter.
- Layer 8 sheets of phyllo in the dish, brushing each sheet with butter before adding the next (keep the remaining dough covered with a damp towel).
- Sprinkle half of the nut mixture over the dough.
- Layer 8 sheets of phyllo on top, brushing each with butter before adding the next.
- Sprinkle with the remaining half of the nut mixture.
- Layer the remaining 8 sheets of phyllo on top of the nut mixture, brushing each with butter.
- Brush the top sheet with extra butter.
- Using a sharp knife cut into diamond or square shapes all the way to the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until baklava is golden and crisp.
- Immediately pour the syrup over the hot baklava
- Let it soak for at least 6 hours or overnight at room temperature.
- Garnish with grated pistachios (optional).
About the Chef
I am a Home Science Graduate from GB Pant University, Pantnagar, Uttarakhand.
We shifted in Goa in 2010 when my husband switched his job from Noida.
We are proud parents of Dr. Simran and Gursikander.
I am a homemaker, passionate cook and believe that healthy food can also be a tasty food when prepared with unconditional love and warmth.
Disclaimer:This post is written by one of our members and contributors of Shenergy. The images and textual content provided is sole responsibility of the writer. If you feel that any content, in part or full, posted here is a violation of your copyright, please write to us at email@example.com and we will review it. The contributions are 100% voluntary and have no commercial exchange between Shenergy and the contributor.